In January 2017, South Canaan Telephone Company was rebranded as LHTC Broadband. Some time near the turn of the century a one wire telephone line was built, connecting the villages of Lake Ariel, Georgetown (Gravity), and South Canaan. Those who had telephones on this line could be connected to each other by means of a switch board. There was a meeting in 1906 to consider the organization of a more modern telephone system and it was decided to obtain a charter for the organization of a telephone company. The name of the new company was The South Canaan Telephone Company and the charter was obtained in September of 1906.
When the line was constructed, poles had to be erected. The equipment for hole digging was a standard long handled shovel and the poles were made of native chestnut wood. As the demand for services grew, more lines were built to accommodate growth and it became necessary to have a central switchboard. Local girls were hired to operate the switchboard and it soon became necessary to have a central switchboard in Waymart. Before long, a trunk line was built across the mountains to Carbondale from Waymart and more lines were added to Lake Ariel to expand business in that direction. During this time, an independent telephone company organized and built lines north of Waymart and east of South Canaan and Waymart. As the two companies grew, they seemed to cause dissension in the town. People needed to rent telephones for calling one another since the independent lines and South Canaan lines did not connect with one another. After considerable bargaining, the independent company was bought by the South Canaan Telephone Company.
During the lean 1930s, the South Canaan Telephone was busy repairing and keeping in working order the lines built in previous years. Many telephones were disconnected because of the Depression and revenues were lowered until the 1940s when revenues improved and new cable lines were installed to replace the old ones. As the system grew, the company began to take on a new look.
During the 1950s, plans went forward for the installation of a dial system and automatic exchange. A building to house the central office and the new automatic exchange was built in South Canaan and a central exchange office was built in Waymart. In October of 1963, the switchover was officially completed. South Canaan Telephone Company, which began in a small way, had become a progressive, modern telephone system.
The company remained family owned until 2013, when SCTC was acquired by Laurel Highland Total Communications (LHTC), Inc, based in Stahlstown, PA. LHTC also owns Laurel Highland Telephone Company and several affiliated companies.
SCTC will strive to be a corporation known for its integrity, providing its customers with a wide range of high-quality communications services delivered at affordable prices and supported by personalized attention.